Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 8 to 10 minutes
60 ml soy sauce or tamari
60 ml avocado oil
2 tablespoons cooking sherry
1 tablespoon granulated sweetener
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon minced garlic
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
450 g bavette or skirt steak
8 butterhead lettuce leaves
2 spring onions, sliced
1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
Hot sauce, for serving
Lime wedges, for serving
Flaky sea salt (optional)
- In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, avocado oil, cooking sherry, sweetener, cumin, garlic, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the steak in a shallow dish. Pour the marinade over the beef. Cover the dish with plastic wrap and let it marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Remove the flank steak from the dish and discard the marinade.
- Set the air fryer to 204 º C. Place the steak in the air fryer basket and air fry for 4 to 6 minutes. Flip the steak and cook for 4 minutes more, until an instant-read thermometer reads 49 º C at the thickest part (or cook it to your desired doneness). Allow the steak to rest for 10 minutes, then slice it thinly against the grain.
- Stack 2 lettuce leaves on top of each other and add some sliced meat. Top with spring onions and sesame seeds. Drizzle with hot sauce and lime juice, and finish with a little flaky salt (if using). Repeat with the remaining lettuce leaves and fillings.